‘sorcerer’s apprentice’ bug, where sub-trees self-create!

Welcome Forums Jot+ Notes Jot+ Notes General ‘sorcerer’s apprentice’ bug, where sub-trees self-create!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Phil_A 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

George Snead
    Participant

During several sessions with different jot files, I’ve experienced an aberrant behavior which must be a bug. Has this been reported and is there a workaround?

The behavior occurs after I make seemingly routine edits on a note. When I click on that note’s node in the topic hierarchy in the left panel, that same note emerges as a sub note of itself. I have not pasted the note as a sub-note of itself. My prior activity did involve cutting and pasting of content within the detail panel of a note in the original sub-tree.

For example, here is the note node before the aberrant behavior:
    + Tax assessment
    – ToDo
    |_ Done
    |_ Repetative tasks

If I simply click on the ‘ToDo’ note, that complete sub-tree of nodes suddenly appears attached to itself like this:
    + Tax assessment
    – ToDo
    |_ Done
    |_ Repetative tasks
    – ToDo < -- Notice that the 'ToDo' node is a child of itself. I did not paste it here. It spontaneously appears when i click on the parent node, 'ToDo'.
    |_ Done
    |_ Repetative tasks

Moreover, if I delete the ‘ToDo’ child node and its sub-tree, the sub-tree will spontaneously reappears when I access the parent ‘ToDo’ subtree. I focus on this annoyance primarily, but I believe I witnessed that edits in the body of the nodes in the right panel, **may** be lacking from the parent tree, but appear in the spontaneously self-created sub-tree only. (I will try to confirm my hunch with further experimentation.)

I’m puzzled by this behavior. I have not installed or re-installed the product recently, but I have seen this behavior in prior months, or even years, back. I’m running Jot+ Notes Version 3.6.0(619).

Is this a recognized problem?
    Is there a workaround? (Perhaps a particular editing activity that leads to this behavior which I should avoid?)
    Perhaps I should look at the raw jot file for some flaw that I can manually edit to correct?
    When I’ve seen this activity, I saved the context, such as it is, and re-open the file. I believe the flaw is already imbedded in the jot file so that the ‘save and re-open’ sequence does not correct the problem; I still see the duplicated sub-tree as a child of itself and even a cascade of sub-trees each under a prior sub-tree. Hence, I feel like the Sorcerer’s Apprentice when I delete an aberrant sub-tree only to see new sub-trees appear with each access of the legitimate, real sub-tree.

Regards,
    George W Snead

Phil_A
    Participant

Yes I had this problem a few years ago. It was fixed with “Jot+ Notes RC v3.7.0 RC 1” http://kingstairs.com/2010/09/jot-notes-370-rc-1/

I’ve been using this with no problems on windows up to Win8.1 and it seems quite stable. Unfortunately Jot seems to be no longer supported. If you have problems with this link I can email you a copy.

Phil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.